Sunday, April 19, 2009

4-14-39-23-28-99

I’ve always have loved numbers. I remember when I young and hadn't yet started school, I made my mom give me math quizzes. I would sit on her bed in the mornings and insist on playing addition and subtraction games. She would say, "if I had 3 apples and gave you 1 how many would I have left?" I loved that game . I was fascinated on how things lined up and the exact science of math. My sister Jana taught me how to do multiplications when she had just learned them. I lied in bed that night beginning to grasp the concept of multiples of nines two years before I would be taught them in school. I actually enjoyed math in school and did well. Now this may be why I have an addiction to play sudoku.

As a kid I had a book that was titled 7 is a Magic Number. It was my favorite because it had a silly poem about a purple cow. One day in first grade, I realized the magic of 7 in my life: I was 7 years old, G was the 7th letter in the alphabet, I had 7 letters in my first name, 7 letters in my last name, 7 people in my family, and at the time there was 7 more months till my birthday. I’m sure that whole day I would have tried to be 7th in line or look for every seven around me. I even thought it was cool there were 7 days a week. I think I even wished that I had 7 fingers and 7 toes.

Well now I have some new numbers to celebrate. No I didn’t win the lucky lotto numbers, I wish. These are the numbers of placement for this little guy swimming around inside me; he kind of feels like that lately. He’ll be the 4th grandchild for Dave’s parents, Becky and Jim; my parents, Doris and Knude's 14th grandchild; grandpa and grandma Duckett’s 39th great-grandchild; the Pheysey’s 23rd great-grandchild; the Swensen’s 28th, and ever so grandly the Dickson’s 99th great-grandchild!! Amazing! My cousin Emily is due a month or so after me and that’ll be their 100th great-grandchild. So to celebrate the 99’s I am posting a video…99 Red Luftballoons. For your entertainment it’ll be Nena’s original German version and you can enjoy the early 80’s rock outfits and areobic dance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXZC8W40JRA

Watch at least the first 1.5 minutes!

5 comments:

  1. Man...I thought I was the only one with that outfit!!! She jazzercises better though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's impressive you know all those numbers! I couldn't help but notice the time you posted and I am relieved I am not the only one up at a ridiculous time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you did Sudoku, I love it too. Drives Jim nuts. I always liked numbers too although I never did much higher math. Love ya, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! Erin loves numbers too and remembers everyones address and phone numbers. Not me! I hate to move because it means I have to get a new phone and address every time. Don't ask me how old my kids or grandkids are. If it includes numbers I don't know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i REMEMBER those bedside math games too, mostly because you loved them...love mom

    ReplyDelete