Thursday, May 14, 2009

Nixon David Pheysey

I sit alone in my room in New Orleans and look out the window at a city in the state of reconstruction. It’s been almost 4 years since Hurricane Katrina plowed through here leaving a swath of destruction, sorrow, and hopelessness. As I watch the proud residents of New Orleans piece back together the city and their lives I find hope. Perhaps this is the ideal location for me to reminisce about the recent devastation and reconstruction in my own life.

As you may know, Gaylene and I lost our son Nixon on April 30th. We were told that it was from an infection in the womb and there was nothing either of us could have done to prevent it, or to change the outcome. Hollow words as we clung to each other in the hospital: “Your baby is going to come today and it’s just too soon. There will be nothing we can do for him.” echoed over and over in my head. As a husband, an expectant father, and a colleague of the person giving the news my head spun. “Nothing we can do” is neither the credo of the emergency physician nor the words of hope and solace this husband and father wanted.

Gaylene was wonderful. She was strong and beautiful. She did everything an expectant mother should do. We waited in physical and emotional pain for the chance we would have to hold him. He was beautiful and he looked at peace. He had some of my features and Gaylene’s beautiful blond curls. We held him, told him how much we looked forward to being his parents and how much we loved him. And then, his body was gone….but his spirit lingered.

Through the post-delivery complications and scares Gaylene was stoic. I was to be her safe harbor during this yet it felt the other way around. I cried. I don’t do that. I didn’t know what else to do. On the phone, in my car, in the shower, and as I type now, tears fall. They don’t spill as often now, and I can explain what happened with some composure.

I think we are rebuilding. We have had so much love and support showered on us the last few weeks. Friends, family, hospital staff. Everyone has been wonderful. I watched the love others had for my wife from a distance. How deeply she has touched the lives of the people here in such a short time amazes me, but I understand it. The same thing happened to me.

As I sit here and examine my heart I see holes. Some are bigger than others. Some with well healed patches and others that are not quite there yet. I know this will be the most complicated rebuild I’ve had to face but with my wife by my side and your continual love and support I’ll get there.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, flowers, meals, love and friendship. You have become the building blocks I need for this reconstruction. We have the scaffolding up and are making headway. As with all the other holes in my heart, this one will always be there. Never forgotten, never completely understood, but forever a part of me.

12 comments:

  1. Gaylyn and Dave... you are in my prayers. Nixon will always be up there doing the same kind of service his parents are living here on earth....and Yes there will always be hope and i'm also sure God understands[as much as all your family and friends do] the sorrow a loving father and mother feel for the lost of a beautiful child.

    I love you both, take care.

    Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet words and feelings, thanks for sharing them with us. We love you all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My prayers are with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you both so much and cry with you. You are in our prayers. Love, Grandma and Grandpa, Viv and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so amazed at your strength and spirituality. I know that Nixon choose you to be his parents and he choose the best two people I know. Matt and I are so sorry for you loss, we love you and you will be in our prayers and thoughts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love his name. We love him, and we love you. Please know we have offered heartfelt prayers for comforting grace to be with you. We can only imagine your sorrow. But we also know your great faith and strength and love for each other will help in the healing. We are thinking of you with so much love and will continue to do so. Aunt Peg and Uncle Doug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebuilding is a long process, just when you think you're done, you find out you're not. Just remember, he left a bit of his heart with each of you to give you materials to patch with. You will feel him often and it will bless you lives.
    Love you all, mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to add my heartfelt love to you and your family. What brave and good people you are. So sorry for your loss. Our prayers are added to the many.
    with Love,

    Melinda and John Dickson (Jack and Delores's Son)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love you guys. What sweet words. Thank you for sharing your experience. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a beautiful post, Dave, it made me cry. My heart is with you both. I know this is so difficult and I know you will get through it with faith. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dave, I love you! Thank you for expressing what I could not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a beautiful way of explaining such a sad thing. Thank you for writing about it so that those of us who are far away but care a lot about you guys can know a little about what's going on. We love you. You both are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete