We headed east to Drummond Island. Took a ferry across and found a secluded camping spot on State Forest property; a bay looking out to Lake Huron all to ourselves. There is a link you can check out to the right called Drummond Island with a cool map. While there we saw deer, ospry, grey heron, red foxes, and we think bear scat; it had lots of red berries in it.
Our first day out on the water we decided on a 5 mile round trip paddle to Marble Head Point. We knew it may be a difficult waters because waves can get high around that area in bad weather, but it was so nice out. We thought we'd go just as far around bends as we could. We stopped and hiked for awhile. When we got back from our hike we could tell the winds had picked up so we knew our 40min leasure paddle could be twice as long. It ended up taking us 2 and 1/2 hours! The whole time was strenuous paddeling. If you stopped to rest you'd go back 10 feet because the wind was so strong. The white capped waves were up to my shoulders at one point. It wasn't nearly as dangerous as frustrating.
I was so sore the next day that when we went up a stream towards an inland lake I ended up tying my boat to Dave's. He pulled me back down stream. It was hilarious because my boat kept swaying sideways and I would get hung up on beaver dams. We laughed lots and ended up not staying so many days on the island.
We went out to Tahquamenon Falls. We had heard so much about this place from everyone that it was a must see. The area was beautiful. The falls weren't nearly as thrilling as our checker game we played in the shop nearby. I don't normally advertise for The North Face cause I like to make fun of them, but they gave me this hat for free.
This was a fabulous vacation! I wish I had more pictures of how beautiful everything was from the trees creating tunnels over all our drives and their colors changing, Dave bathing out in the frigid waters, our FHE by the campfire and bright starry moonless nights. The waters were so blue and temperatures just right and hardly anyone around. I loved it all! Autumn is my favorite season..I think because I like the feeling of change. I like the cool yet sunny days. I love how the air smells, often of burning wood. I love how full the farmer's markets are of produce. As a kid it always felt like the beginning of a new year because it was back to school which ment new clothes and I always like that. At the near end of our trip we had the option to stop and stay at a nice hotel or something after all our camping, but decided to spend our money at the outlet stores instead. Yep a vacation can't get much better than that!
We left the UP and went west out to Sleeping Bear Dunes. We went through Traverse City which we loved. It sat right on the north side of Lake Michigan and was fairly bigger city than all the other seaside towns. I loved that they had city parks on the water everywhere. I say this beacuse out here in Detroit the lake shore is almost all private or you have to pay to get into a park! We ate out at Red Mesa Grill that had a delicious tuna appetizer.
We made it to the west side and decided to hike the sand dunes at the last minute so that we could see the sunset on Lake Michigan. It was tough but we needed to get out and stretch from all our driving. In the first picture (if you can see me) I am actually walking uphill but my calves hurt so much I'm walking backwards. We finally made it to the top and guess what? There were more hills to hike. We just kept going and made it seriously the second before the sun set behind the horizon. There wasn't really any groomed path that took us to our point but some how we found the "Ghost Forest" which we didn't know anything about until the next day. Well, we decided to head back and realized we hadn't grabbed our head lamps. We ended up wondering around the dunes in the dark, taking twice as long to get back. It was an adventure!
The next day we went around Sleeping Bear Dunes Park's scenic drive. Stopping at different lookouts and reading the history. It was so beautiful out! Sunny and perfect temperature, we got to see where we were lost the night before. You can click on any of the pictures to make them bigger, I'm not sure if you want us that close in your face though.
After these spots we went to Glen Harbor and Glen Haven; quaint little towns with lots of artist shops. We were able to find a local artist who made hand blown glass balls. We collect one each year to add to our Christmas tree. This area is known for their cherries. We stopped in a little cafe called Cherry Republic. Everything there is cherry; a grilled cheese sandwich is made on cherry bread. We made our own when we came home and it was delicious. I had a cherry creme soda which was the bestest (I know it's not a word but it qualifies for how I felt). Dave got a cherry ginger ale, also delicious. We weren't hungry enough for cherry pie but I'm sure it would have been divine.
This was a fabulous vacation! I wish I had more pictures of how beautiful everything was from the trees creating tunnels over all our drives and their colors changing, Dave bathing out in the frigid waters, our FHE by the campfire and bright starry moonless nights. The waters were so blue and temperatures just right and hardly anyone around. I loved it all! Autumn is my favorite season..I think because I like the feeling of change. I like the cool yet sunny days. I love how the air smells, often of burning wood. I love how full the farmer's markets are of produce. As a kid it always felt like the beginning of a new year because it was back to school which ment new clothes and I always like that. At the near end of our trip we had the option to stop and stay at a nice hotel or something after all our camping, but decided to spend our money at the outlet stores instead. Yep a vacation can't get much better than that!




I want to go next time
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are beautiful! Sounds like you guys had a really great trip!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds so perfect! The pictures are beautiful! I am really happy for you two. You both needed and deserved this relaxing vacation.
ReplyDeleteWow. I love Fall too. I definitely want to visit Sleeping Bear dunes and glen harbor and glen haven. I am a succor for blown glass ornaments. Sweet pictures. And thank you so much for the fun surprise. You woudn't believe how great those Marathon gas stickers and books were. It definitely kept all the boys occupied. And thank you for the crayons. I forgot to bring some and was so happy to find that you had taken care of it. You guys are the best. Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT! So glad you had fun...sounded like a blast and I'm sure a well needed vacation!
ReplyDeleteSounds..Perfect! Wish I could've camped with with your guys. So, just how far away is Detriot from Chicago? Richie's fam is located in the middle of the state, and I doubt we get further north than Chi, but maybe you want to come down? I'd love to see you. :) PS you look beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI am so jealous! I wish I could go on a nice vacation.
ReplyDeleteReally pretty pictures! It's not everyday you take a vacation you've always planned on, right :). J/K There is lots of stuff I would like to do around MI before we leave too. Thanks for sharing
ReplyDelete