

Aww…there it is! It’s the blue and green one, very pretty. Do you see it? As soon as summer hit, Dave and I began trying to find our spot. We knew by this fall he’d begin his job hunt and we didn’t know where to begin. I felt like Alice in wonderland.
Alice: I was just wondering if you could help me find my way.
Cheshire Cat: Well that depends on where you want to get to.
Alice: Oh, it really doesn't matter, as long as...
Cheshire Cat: Then it really doesn't matter which way you go.
Dave had spent most of his life in Utah and wanted to find a new spot and I, like always, just wanted an adventure; yet then if I could choose, and be idealistic, and…oh that’s when I got into trouble, idealism. We had suggestions; throwing a dart on a map (Russian roulette and my adherence to control don’t blend) to answering questions at http://www.findyourspot.com/ , a survey! It was just like all the girl magazine questionnaires that I would fill out and answer so I would get the results I wanted. Ha-ha…I am the social butterfly I want to be.
So Dave and I did the 80 question survey. I wanted a place with lots of sun, warm weather all year, and dry climate. He wanted 4 seasons, mountains for skiing, and large water near-by. Of the rest we were pretty similar. The results:
Alice: I was just wondering if you could help me find my way.
Cheshire Cat: Well that depends on where you want to get to.
Alice: Oh, it really doesn't matter, as long as...
Cheshire Cat: Then it really doesn't matter which way you go.
Dave had spent most of his life in Utah and wanted to find a new spot and I, like always, just wanted an adventure; yet then if I could choose, and be idealistic, and…oh that’s when I got into trouble, idealism. We had suggestions; throwing a dart on a map (Russian roulette and my adherence to control don’t blend) to answering questions at http://www.findyourspot.com/ , a survey! It was just like all the girl magazine questionnaires that I would fill out and answer so I would get the results I wanted. Ha-ha…I am the social butterfly I want to be.
So Dave and I did the 80 question survey. I wanted a place with lots of sun, warm weather all year, and dry climate. He wanted 4 seasons, mountains for skiing, and large water near-by. Of the rest we were pretty similar. The results:

*note: That's the desert sun vs. The Four Seasons
GAYLENE: Portland, OR; Corvallis, OR; Albuquerque, NM; Las Cruces, NM; Las Vegas, NV; Ventura, CA; Eugene, OR; Salem, OR; Santa Barbara, CA; St. George, UT; Valencia, CA; Seattle, WA; Medford, OR; Santa Cruz, CA; Palo Alto, CA; Bellingham, WA; Cape Cod, MA; Kailua-Kona, HI; San Bernidino, CA; El Cajon, CA; Kent, WA; Honolulu, HI; Tacoma, WA; Henderson, NV.
DAVE: Kent, WA; Tacoma, WA; Portland, OR; Corvallis, OR; Loveland, CO; Fort Collins, CO; Seattle, WA; Bellingham, WA; Provo-Orem, UT; Albuquerque, NM; Eugene, OR; Medford, OR; Olympia, WA; St. George, UT; Idaho Falls, ID; Carson City, NV; Bend, OR; Salem, OR; Missoula, MT; Boise, ID; Spokane, WA; Billings, MT; Anchorage, AK; Denver, CO.
DAVE: Kent, WA; Tacoma, WA; Portland, OR; Corvallis, OR; Loveland, CO; Fort Collins, CO; Seattle, WA; Bellingham, WA; Provo-Orem, UT; Albuquerque, NM; Eugene, OR; Medford, OR; Olympia, WA; St. George, UT; Idaho Falls, ID; Carson City, NV; Bend, OR; Salem, OR; Missoula, MT; Boise, ID; Spokane, WA; Billings, MT; Anchorage, AK; Denver, CO.
I think it's poetic justice that Provo/Orem where Dave was born, raised and wants to avoid at all costs (for working and living, not visiting and vacationing) was one of his top 10.

We have decided to follow what Horace Greeley stated, “Go west, young man, go west and grow up with the country.” So wherever we might land next summer might not be our permanent spot but it’ll be the beginning of our own manifest destiny. We're branching out, we're excited, we'll go where there's a job and we'll always remember (Can I add just one more idiom into this blog?) that home is where the heart is. Actually, what has made all the difference in how well I have liked a place, is the people I have met and friends I have made. So I just hope I find as many good people "there" as I have here.
Where do you see us next summer?
Where do you see us next summer?

Grandma and Grandpa and Dave and I all agree that it has to be Washington! Preferably Arlington Washington... but no further away than Oregon!
ReplyDeleteWell I see you both have Seattle, Bellingham, Kent & Tacoma on you list. Out of those four i would think you would like Seattle the best, but I also see that Olympia is on Dave's list. I think, from what little I know of you, you would LOVE Olympia. It's close to everything water, mountains, ocean & city. It's a very eclectic, quirky and free spirited city. You would also be close to grandma & grandpa! (not to try and alarm anyone, but if you want to get to know them, nows the time!)
ReplyDeleteMatt said that he thinks you would like Bellingham.
As long as you are in Western Washington I'd be happy! =)
Why stay in the U.S.? We are loving Germany right now. :)
ReplyDeleteBeing from the Portland area, that's my vote. I saw Valencia CA on there, I went to my last two years of high school in Valencia - stick with the NW folks. There aren't 4 seasons in Valencia. And the mountains close by for skiing - it's ice, they're mostly all packed with man made snow. I almost died the first time I went skiing in CA vs the Mt Hood and Bachelor skiing days of my youth.
ReplyDeleteI vote for the NW.
COME TO OREGON! We want you!
ReplyDeleteWE'll be happy with closer... You will be happy where ever you are as long as you are together and you find a job you like. Provo/Orem isn't as sucky as you may think although the big buck jobs are not here:)
ReplyDeleteI don't know what happened to your comment Jess, sorry! She votes for Hawaii
ReplyDeleteWe've talked about living outside the US but believe it'll be best after we pay off huge student loans first. Then who knows?
ReplyDeleteIf you want sun but also live in the PNW, Bend is great. However, after living in Corvallis, I have never found better people than in the Corvallis 1st ward! And it's gorgeous there! You'd love it Gaylene.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Dave, NO on Provo-Orem, and I can say that since that is where our little home is right now! But come and visit us anytime! We would love it.
ReplyDelete