This all came about when talking with my sister Tasha about how next on the list seems to be a crib but that certainly wasn't as interesting to me as maybe a Baby Jogger stroller and she was jealous. In fact she loves crib shopping? I could settle for one off of craigslist. She told me how in St. Lucia when her first was to be born, there wasn't anywhere on the island that had a crib. She finally found the only one and it was kinda chinsy but it was a must have for a new American mom. There they only use hammocks. This is when Dave started researching hammocks, and he found some great modern ones that were quite pricey which led to more research until he found a Kanoe! We loved it! We want this instead of a crib. They hold up to 30lbs with the spring and more when it has either a sturdier spring or none at all. They swaddle the child and move when they move so to gently rock them back to sleep. As well as you can tilt them at an incline for a colicky babe.

So as we drooled over it more and more we decided we need to see it in person. The closest store to have one was in Toronto (they are made in Montana). This week we discovered we had 2 days off together so made a decision to visit Toronto. Yes it's 4 hours away but that seemed like nothing compared to all the car trips I have done..across the US 5 different times in my life. Once my cousin and I went to see the Mackinaw bridge and drove 4 hours in a snowstorm there just to cross it and then headed home. This was even more sensible...time with Dave, see our Kanoe, and see Toronto! We played alphabet games like A-Z of things that could destroy a home..avalanche to the Zepplin landing on it. It was fun so why didn't the Canadians believe it was a good idea. We got stopped at the border and drilled. I was defensive about how sweet our plan was and they thought it was suspicous. Such a long drive for a hammock (they didn't know how really cool this Kanoe is). I had to retort it wouldn't be so long if you hadn't pulled us over for 30 minutes. After the car search and lots more insuating questions we were back on our way.
We checked out our store..Baby on the Hip and the kanoe (which is under "Kanoe" site). We got a pastry from across the street and went to the Ontario Lake Habour in the city. Sat in the beautiful sun and ate our pastries. While we strolled and looked for a bathroom for me we ran into a art studio place open for public viewing. We saw glass blowing..which ultmately made Dave's day, a dream come true and more artisian works too. By then we had decided we were going to get the Kanoe and ran back to the store and found out the color Earth Sky was not in stock so now we are on a list but it'll come before the baby!
Gaylene! I love the Kanoe! I love the idea of the trip to Toronto just to find one, I love your spunk at the border, I love you. Earth Sky is definitely perfect.
ReplyDeleteLove
Aunt Peg
Wow, the Kanoe is awesome! I wish I would have had one for mine! I'm sure baby boy will love it! Sounds like a fabulous day...
ReplyDelete